In Episode 4 of the Tenkara Angler Level Line Podcast, we check in with Mike Lutes to see what his post Badger Tenkara fixed-line fly fishing experiences look like today.
Mike Lutes brings a unique perspective to fixed-line fly fishing. Living in Wisconsin, he has access to many different species of fish – from the trout of the Driftless, to smallmouth of the rivers, and even the fish of a thousand casts, the muskie. In this podcast interview Mike Agneta and Matt Sment speak to Mike Lutes about his background in fly fishing, the progression toward tenkara, a top secret fishing location in Wisconsin, his gear choices and tenkara “style”, targeting machaca in Costa Rica, the origin story of Badger Tenkara, as well as some quick hit questions on favorite species, flipping guitars, conservation, natural phenomena, advice for a new tenkara angler, and hair care tips. In all, it’s a little over forty minutes of tenkara and fixed-line fun we’re certain you’ll enjoy!
The embedded video episode can also be found on the Tenkara Angler YouTube channel (we’d love it if you’d visit, like, and subscribe). The audio should soon be found pretty much anywhere you find podcasts, including Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Anchor, Pocket Casts, Radio Public, TuneIn, etc… Just search “Tenkara Angler Level Line” and it’s sure to come up!
Show Notes & Links:
- 01:40 – Intro to Mike Lutes, co-founder Badger Tenkara
- 02:54 – Mike’s intro to fly fishing
- 05:07 – The transition to tenkara & top secret water
- 06:55 – Mike’s local waters and species
- 08:17 – Trout vs. Smallmouth bass gear
- 09:14 – Props to Tenkara Times!
- 10:34 – Mike’s tenkara style & choice of flies
- 11:20 – Chucking streamers
- 14:23 – MACHACA!
- 18:00 – Fixed line + boats
- 20:05 – Origin story of Badger Tenkara
- 26:40 – MWTF & the tenkara community
- 30:48 – Post Badger Tenkara
- 33:00 – Mike’s favorite species
- 33:54 – Flipping guitars
- 35:43 – Interesting natural world happening
- 37:50 – Bigfoot meets Tenkara Gandalf
- 38:51 – Trout Unlimited and Project Green Teen
- 39:38 – Advice for a novice tenkara angler
- 40:10 – Mike’s glorious flow
Do you have a story to tell? A photo to share? A fly recipe that’s too good to keep secret? If you would like to contribute content to Tenkara Angler, click HERE for more details.