Did you enjoy the maiden voyage of the Tenkara Angler Level Line podcast? Well, we’re back with Episode 2, and we were fortunate enough to have Tom Davis of the Teton Tenkara blog as our guest.
If you’ve ever searched for a tenkara rod review online, you’ve undoubtedly come across Tom’s website. It is by far the most comprehensive source of tenkara rod information, with reviews of over 150 models! Tom spent a little time catching us up on his fly fishing & tenkara background, his favorite types of water and gear preferences, and obviously a lot of rod talk. We cover the Rod Flex Index, a few of Tom’s favorite rods (as well as a few not so faves), and of course his role in the development of the DRAGONtail Mizuchi. We then close out the interview with a few “quick hit” questions before saying goodbye. In all, it’s slightly over an hour of entertaining conversation!
The embedded video episode can also be found on the Tenkara Angler YouTube channel (we’d love it if you’d visit, like, and subscribe). The audio should soon be found pretty much anywhere you find podcasts, including Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Anchor, Pocket Casts, Radio Public, TuneIn, etc… Just search “Tenkara Angler Level Line” and it’s sure to come up!
Show Notes & Links:
- 0:01:34 – Intro to Tom Davis, Teton Tenkara
- 0:03:27 – Guatemala Mission
- 0:05:31 – Tom’s fly fishing background
- 0:12:25 – Everyone’s first tenkara rod
- 0:17:15 – Favorite types of water
- 0:22:02 – Tom’s tenkara style
- 0:29:30 – Specialized rods & #nottenkara
- 0:32:27 – The origins of Teton Tenkara & the rod reviews
- 0:37:00 – Rod Flex Index (on Teton Tenkara and/or Tenkara Angler)
- 0:38:15 – Saint Chris Stewart of the Penny Scale
- 0:42:55 – Tom’s Favorite Rods
- 0:51:52 – Tom’s Not So Favorite Rods
- 0:53:45 – The Mystery Rod
- 0:56:48 – The DRAGONtail Mizuchi
- 0:58:40 – Quick Hits: Favorite Species, Conservation, Hobbies, Sasquatch, Advice
- 1:04:35 – Closing remarks, Teton Tenkara on YouTube
Do you have a story to tell? A photo to share? A fly recipe that’s too good to keep secret? If you would like to contribute content to Tenkara Angler, click HERE for more details.
When you buy something using the retail links within our articles or Gear Shop, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Tenkara Angler does not accept money for editorial gear reviews. Read more about our policy.