Ok everyone… the votes are in… the regular season has concluded… Selection Sunday has come and gone… and it’s almost time for the single-elimination 2021 Tenkara Rod Madness!
Before I get to the field of 56 rods, let me go over the rules & schedule of the brackets.
Rules (I Guess?)
- With 56 rods voted for, the top 2 rods in each region receive a first round bye
- Votes will be tallied via Google embed in upcoming posts (see schedule below)
- Voting window will run for 3 Days after going live at roughly 6AM ET
- Have fun… and please share with other tenkara & fixed-line friends!
- Round 1: Tuesday, March 16
- Round 2: Friday, March 19
- Sweet Sixteen: Tuesday, March 23
- Great Eight: Friday, March 26
- Final Four: Tuesday, March 30
- Championship: Friday, April 2nd
- Champion Announced Monday, April 5th
The Field of 56!
The voting was brisk, and it was awesome to see so many rods get nominated. We’ve decided to break up the field into four regions – The Auger, Sakakibara, Galhardo, and Stewart – based on the four #1 seeds – the DRAGONtail Mizuchi, Oni Type I, Tenkara USA Sato, & TenkaraBum 40.
And for those curious to see tomorrow’s first round match ups, here are “zoom ins” of each region, as well as a downloadable PDF of the complete bracket. There are some really potentially interesting match ups down the road if everything plays out… like the Tenkara USA Sato vs. Tenkara USA Rhodo for a trip to the Final Four… but that’s only if some Cinderellas don’t sneak in and make things interesting!
So there you go. Come back tomorrow, Tuesday March 16th and vote early, vote often (if it lets you… I have no idea how this is actually going to work out), and root on your favorite tenkara and fixed-line rods!
Do you have a story to tell? A photo to share? A fly recipe that’s too good to keep secret? If you would like to contribute content to Tenkara Angler, click HERE for more details.
When you buy something using the retail links within our articles or gear shop, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Tenkara Angler does not accept money for editorial gear reviews. Read more about our policy.